Date(s) - 29/08/2015
6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Click location above for venue details
Hi! Some of you may remember that since last year, I have organised three vegan fundraising dinners – and that they were fun, delicious and successful in raising some money for a few awesome animal welfare charities. The first one was so awesome that we all decided we needed to keep having more of them throughout the year.
So far, these dinners have donated our raised funds to Melbourne Animal Rescue, Oscar’s Law, Pet Medical Crisis Fund and Animals Australia! Great, right? With this next event, some us regular event participants had a discussion and a vote and decided to sponsor the Rescue Horse Foster Homes Australia.
RHFH provides foster homes to horses and ponies at auctions that are otherwise sold for meat. In most cases there is absolutely nothing wrong with the horses. It’s just that they are surplus to the racing industry or irresponsible breeders. Representatives from RHFH attend the auctions every Friday and rescue as many horses and ponies as possible according to the funding they receive. These horses are then placed in foster homes to be offered up for permanent adoption to suitable homes. For more information, see this website or their Facebook group.
You may also notice that ticket prices have gone up just a tiny bit – this was a collective decision of the Vegan Potluck Club of Melbourne – even though we’ve done pretty well in raising money for animals in the past, we know we can do better! The tickets have been amazing value for a charity event, and now will still be really, really good value!
The only other changes – all in the name of cutting down overheads so we can give more to the charities that need our help – are BYO all drinks (including soft drinks), BYO cutlery and serving utensils, a paid/donation system for taking away leftovers, and a recipe swap system (all details below).
So without further ado, here are the deets for the second dinner of 2015!
- It will be held on Saturday, 29th August at 6:30pm.
- We will be fundraising for Rescue Horse Foster Homes Australia (see above for info on the organisation).
- Everyone who brings a dish will also chip in $12.50 (to be prepaid) as a donation towards an animal welfare organisation and towards venue expenses. You also need to contribute at least one recipe to the event recipe book – it should ideally be for something you cook that day, but it can be something else.
- You will pay for your own cooking – but remember, you don’t have to cook enough to feed the whole group singlehandedly, since there will be so many other dishes!
- If you are cooking and coming with a partner, you may bring chose to bring two dishes, or just twice as much of the same dish, however, you must both contribute the $12.50 either way.
- If cooking simply isn’t your thing but you’d still like to support us, come eat anyway, and pay $25, which will all go to our chosen organisation, minus a very small amount towards venue expenses! (P.S. limited spaces available for this option – first come, first served).
- BYO drinks of all sorts (soft drinks, alcoholic beverages etc)
- BYO cutlery and serving utensils (though if you forget cutlery, I’ll have some spare)
- Bring a container if you’d like to take home leftovers – pay $3 for small or medium sized container
- Recipe book – I will compile a digital recipe booklet out of all the recipes collected at the event – to be published within 3 days. These can be purchased for $5 each (and will be available to anyone who didn’t attend as well)!
- Held in a private dining room with an outdoor rooftop area, in Abbotsford – close to the city and public transport
- There will be first-come-first-served slot for bringing different types of food (finger food, hot dishes, dessert) so we don’t end up with too much or too little of each type of thing. This will be organised after the guest list is finalised and spots paid for.
- Bookings for attendees bringing food open until Friday, August 21st. The $12.50 contribution is due by that time also (you can register your space first and pay later as long as it’s by that date).
- Bookings and $25 payment for attendees NOT bringing food (just empty bellies) open until Thursday, August 27th, or until sold out. These can be booked here: http://www.nomsandrambles.net/event/vegan-fundraising-potluck4-guest/
So come and join us for some delicious, cruelty-free homemade cooking! You will not be disappointed!
Participating cooks: Once you have made a booking, in order to secure your place, please send the ticket fee of $12.50 AUD to the PayPal account email@example.com as a “Gift” or “Friends/Family” payment with “Vegan Potluck Dinner” in the description along with the name you use in your booking here.
Once we have received your payment, your spot will be confirmed and you’ll be sent an email!
The physical address of the venue will be emailed to you at the email address you provide before Friday, August 28th.
To see some of the scrumptious food we ate and cooked in previous events, join our Vegan Potluck Club of Melbourne Facebook group, or see the photos from my veg challenges with Instagram hashtag #aprilvegchallenge.
(For more info on the challenge itself: http://www.nomsandrambles.net/2014/04/hate-plants-april/)
Bookings are closed for this event.